Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Classic Who-dun-it


Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - starts at $10)

MINI LESSON: CUPS (8 of 8)

Once you've drawn your cup(s), I have a few suggestions for checking to make sure it's all working. The first and simplest is to step back as far as you can. I recommend doing this often, actually, which is why I strongly suggest (unless you have health problems that prevent this) that you stand to paint (and draw). I use an anti-fatigue mat to stand on, and it is very long, so I can walk to the end of my studio and not have my feet pay for it later. When you step back you can see the big picture. For example, apparently I did not check this painting enough, because now I see that the front blue cup is leaning a little in the wrong direction. Damn. So, what the heck - I don't want to re-do it now so I'm going to start the auction at $10.

Another way to check your drawing is to look at it backwards, with a mirror. OR, take a picture of it with your cell phone, and flip it horizontally.

One other recommendation that was sent to me a while back, is to trace a cup onto a piece of plexiglass with a dry-erase marker and hold it in front of each ellipse to check its shape. To be honest, I find this a little awkward, and very hard to hold still, but it may work well for you.

I hope you've enjoyed these cup lessons. It is my way of saying THANKS to all of you who have supported me over the years, either buying my paintings, lessons, workshops, books, or just sending me a nice comment now and then. Thank you so much!

10 comments:

Tomíno Valík said...

Hi Carol, thank you for your nice mini lessons. I must say I learned a lot. When viewing the picture you added to this blog post, I see that the curtain itself may serve also as a tool for checking the shape of the mug. Do you see it? Of course, one must look from the right angle.
Thank you again for these lessons and I wish that your paintings are still that beautiful, you are an amazing artist.
Tomíno

JanettMarie said...

Thanks Carol, the mini lessons are great! Inspires me to paint cups and finish the big cup painting I started a year ago! LoL! Thank you again, you keep getting better and better. -jM

Mingo Cooney said...

You rock, Miss Carol.

Cloud 9 said...

Thank you, Carol. These lesson have made everything much more clear to me. I saved them all in a single file to read later on my ipad.
Thank you for all that you do for us and being so inspiring. Your work is fantastic.

Paula Font said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your generosity in sharing your knowledge. I have copied these instructions and printed for my book. I'm doing a series of still lifes for my kitchen and was struggling with the handles until I saw your post. I appreciate the time and trouble you took to help others. You are a fabulous painter and a an excellent teacher. Thank you a thousand times.

Ruth Van Egmond said...

Thank you, Carol I found these posts very informative and helpful. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Patti Vincent said...

Your mini ellipse course is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to put this together. Your teaching skills are as worthy and fun as your painting skills. The art community is lucky to have you.

Jo Castillo said...

I second Ruth’s old dog comment. Tips are always appreciated and your paintings sing with strokes, color, gesture and fun. Thanks again.

No one said...

Thank you for your helpful lessons. You are tremendously gifted at taking the complicated and breaking it down into bite-size pieces.

Unknown said...

Thank you!