Friday, February 09, 2018

Salt the Asparagus


Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - starts at $100)

I painted this today. All day. It's six by six inches, and it took all day. Amazing, right? So, getting things to look good with a palette knife isn't easy. Apparently I got lucky with the first one!! Or maybe I just have to be more selective about my subjects. And guess what, it wasn't the asparagus that was difficult! It was the bowls. I struggled and struggled with them, and then finally used my palette knife to scrape it all off, and started over. I think in the end the bowls were all brush. But I'm finally happy with it.

I've done oodles and oodles of abstract collage lately, and I think I'm finally ready to offer them up for sale. I experimented today with getting good images of a couple. I found that scanning was best, although no matter what I tried I couldn't get the oranges to come out right. In the image to the left, the middle piece is a brighter, more saturated orange. And in the right one, the three red pieces are actually orange. Is it my scanner? Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any experience photographing collage? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do collage and scanning is the best way to capture it flat- calibrate your scanner and monitor to true color or edit in software...

Jo Castillo said...

I don’t know about collage pieces. My pastels I take in direct sunlight. Very little adjusting is necessary on the computer. I think that might work if there is no shiny material. Red and blue are both hard to adjust.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

love the collages AND this stunning painting!